Basic Tenses: Be
Below, we have included all the basic tenses with the verb be. We have included the affirmative or positive form (+), the negative form (-) and the interrogative or question form (?). The basic structure is: positive (+): subject + auxiliary verb + main verb negative (-): subject + auxiliary verb + not + main verb question (?): auxiliary verb + subject + main verb However, the simple past and the simple present have a different structure. For these, there is no auxiliary verb. See below for details: positive (+): subject + main verb negative (-): subject + main verb + not question (?): main verb + subject These are the forms of the main verb be that we use to construct the tenses:
|base||past simple||past participle||present participle||present simple|
|be||was, were||been||being||am, are, is|
|SIMPLE present simple or past simple (except future: will + be)||+||I was||I am||I will be|
|–||I was not||I am not||I will not be|
|?||Was I?||Am I?||Will I be?|
|SIMPLE PERFECT have + been||+||I had been||I have been||I will have been|
|–||I had not been||I have not been||I will have not been|
|?||Had I been?||Have I been?||Will I have been?|
|CONTINUOUS be + being||+||I was being||I am being||I will be being|
|–||I was not being||I am not being||I will not be being|
|?||Was I being?||Am I being?||Will I be being?|
|CONTINUOUS PERFECT have been + being||+||I had been being||I have been being||I will have been being|
|–||I had not been being||I have not been being||I will not have been being|
|?||Had I been being?||Have I been being?||Will I have been being?|
Below, we have conjugated be in 12 basic tenses.
|singular||I||had been||have been||will have been|
|You||had been||have been||will have been|
|he/she/it||had been||has been||will have been|
|plural||we||had been||have been||will have been|
|you||had been||have been||will have been|
|they||had been||have been||will have been|
|singular||I||was being||am being||will be being|
|You||were being||are being||will be being|
|he/she/it||was being||is being||will be being|
|plural||we||were being||are being||will be being|
|you||were being||are being||will be being|
|They||were being||are being||will be being|
|singular||I||had been being||have been being||will have been being|
|You||had been being||have been being||will have been being|
|he/she/it||had been being||has been being||will have been being|
|plural||we||had been being||have been being||will have been being|
|you||had been being||have been being||will have been being|
|they||had been being||have been being||will have been being|
Examples Of Be Verb
- Tim might be with her again.
- She should be here.
- He needs to be on time.
- Be happy about the new job.
- Please be nice to your brother.
Is / Am / Are
- She is not here with us.
- Jack is a teacher.
- Is it ready to eat?
- Bill is in the back of the building.
- Why is he not at work?
- My dog is outside playing.
- Timmy is playing with his sister.
- Francis is speaking to the crowd.
- Her cat is drinking the milk.
- I am really tired of working with her.
- I am in the car.
- We are going to see our mom.
- They are helping the children.
- They are coming over at 10PM.
- You are not going with them.
- Tim and Bill are driving on the highway.
- We are not speaking to him.
- The girls are swimming in the pool.
- They are not happy with her.
- We are not going to the party.
Was / Were
- She was late again!
- Your dog was a lot of fun to play with.
- They were living in Tim’s house.
- We were not around yesterday.
- They were not in the car when I called.
- I was not with them yesterday.
- He has been to France many times.
- They have never been over to my house.
- They have been giving them money for a long time.
- Being in good shape is important.
- I know that being late to work is not good.
- She was being really mean to me.